The DCS is looking for individuals from various communities to enroll in its correctional service learnership program application form for 2023-2024 are out now. These individuals should have the necessary qualifications to take on the NQF Level 4 course.
Through the program, participants will be trained in the rehabilitation of offenders. They will be placed in a secure and humane detention facility or under community supervision. The program does not guarantee that they will be able to get hired.
This is an opportunity for individuals to gain valuable skills and experience in the field of corrections. They will also receive a monthly stipend of R3738,25.
1. Eastern Cape Region
St.Albans (Ref No: E01/2023)
Amatole (Ref No: E02/2023)
Kirkwood (Ref No: E03/2023)
East London (Ref No: E04/2023)
Mthatha (Ref No: E06/2023)
Free State & Northern Cape Region:
Groenpunt (Ref No: E07/2023)
Grootvlei (Ref No: E08/2023)
Colesburg (Ref No: E09/2023)
Kimberley (Ref No: E10/2023)
Upington (Ref No: E11/2023)
Goedemoed (Ref No: E12/2023)
Bizzah Makhate (Ref No: E13/2023)
Leeuwkop (Ref No: E14/2023)
Kgosi Mampuru II (Ref No: E15/2023)
Baviaanspoort (Ref No: E16/2023)
Zonderwater (Ref No: E17/2023)
Johannesburg (Ref No: E18/2023)
Boksburg (Ref No: E19/2023)
Modderbee (Ref No: E20/2023)
Krugersdorp (Ref No: E21/2023)
Kwa-Zulu Natal Region:
Durban (Ref No: E22/2023)
Kokstad (Ref No: E23/2023)
Pietermaritzburg (Ref No: E24/2023)
Ncome (Ref No: E25/2023)
Empangeni (Ref No: E26/2023)
Glencore (Ref No: E27/2023)
Waterval (Ref No: E28/2023)
Limpopo, Mpumalanga and North West Region:
Polokwane (Ref No: E29/2023)
Barberton (Ref No: E30/2023)
Bethal (Ref No: E31/2023)
Klerksdorp (Ref No: E32/2023)
Rooigrond (Ref No: E33/2023)
Rusternburg (Ref No: E34/2023)
Thohoyandou (Ref No: E35/2023)
Witbank (Ref No: E36/2023)
Western Cape Region:
Drankentstein (Ref No: E37/2023)
Allandale (Ref No: E38/2023)
Brandvlei (Ref No: E39/2023)
Pollsmoor (Ref No: E40/2023)
Goodwood (Ref No: E41/2023)
Southern Cape (Ref No: E42/2023)
West Coast (Ref No: E43/2023)
Voorberg (Ref No: E44/2023)
Overberg (Ref No: E45/2023)
Breede River (Ref No: E46/2023)
- South Africans who have either the Grade 12 or the National Senior Certificate are considered to be in possession of these documents.
- Those who have completed the NQF Level 4 in vocational studies are also considered to be in possession of these documents.
- Those who have completed the NQF Level 4 education and training certificate are South Africans.
- Individuals with additional qualifications in various fields such as corrections, criminology, agriculture, engineering, animal health technicians, plant production, and food processing are encouraged to apply.
- These include trades, such as carpentry, electrical, plumbing, and welding, as well as those in other areas like food processing, construction, and agriculture. In addition to these, candidates with a degree in one of these subjects are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a medical examination and a physical fitness test in order to be considered for the position.
- Applicants must be South Africans between the ages of 21 and 35. They should have a strong character and be physically fit. They should also be willing to provide the necessary information to the DCS in order to undergo a personnel suitability check. In addition, they should be law-abiding citizens and have no criminal records.
- The goal of the learnership is to contribute to the shortage of skills in South Africa and the Department of Corrections.
- It is based on an agreement between the learner, the service provider, and the employer.
- For a one-year period, the program will involve around 30% theoretical and instructional learning, and 70% workplace learning.
- This course will introduce various theoretical modules and firearms training, as well as self-defense and physical training at designated DCS colleges.
- Free accommodations, meals, and training materials will be provided during the training phase.
Other Useful Information
The mandatory theoretical training course is designed to accommodate the learner on a full-time basis. During the workplace training phase, which is conducted at correctional facilities and community corrections offices, the learners are provided with a stipend.
Accommodation, transport, and meals will be provided by the course’s participants. They are also responsible for their own expenses. The employer will not provide housing, pension fund, housing subsidy, overtime, medical aid, or danger allowances during the training phase. Those who pass the course’s instructional learning phase will be considered competent.
The completion of the program’s various phases, such as the evaluation of the POE, the submission of the documentation, and the establishment of a satisfactory record, will be handled by the DCS. Any deviations from the agreed upon terms will be dealt with.
Successful learners can expect to receive a correctional services FET certificate following the completion of the program. However, the department does not guarantee that they will be able to find permanent jobs after they have completed the course.
Eastern Cape Region: Mr Ndlela HH, Tel No: (043) 706 7834
Free State & Northern Cape Region: Mr Gouws W/Ms Mkuni NJ, Tel No: (051) 404 0268
Gauteng Region: Mr De Bruin CR, Tel No: (012) 420 0173
Kwa-Zulu Natal Region: Mr Somaru RK, Tel No: (033) 355 7355
Limpopo, Mpumalanga & North West Region: Ms Sibiya MK, Tel No: (012) 306 2025/ Mr Ziqubu Z, Tel No: (012) 306 2025
Western Cape Region: Ms NA Mdladlamba, Tel No: (021) 550 6014
You must complete the application form for the Corrections Learnership for 2023/24. You can get it at the nearest correctional facilities, regional offices, or management areas. These forms are also available through the DCS website at www.dcs.gov.za. Those who have any concerns about corruption can report it to the DIU hotline at 012 323 7901 or 0800 701 71.
Applicants must complete and sign the form, which should be done in the presence of the agent, representative, or proxy of the applicant. You can also use the reference number that’s indicated on the application form to find the appropriate management area for the position.
Below is a list of the required documents. Only the candidates who have been selected will be required to submit these documents. In addition, all forms must be signed and no late, incomplete, or unauthorized entries will be accepted.
You must apply for the learnership within the management area where you live. This ensures that you have the necessary accommodations and transport during your time in the program.
How to apply
The application forms for the learnership program of the Department of Corrections can be obtained from the DCS’s official website, which is www.dcs.gov.za download application form here. The contact details for the regional offices are also indicated below.
The recruitment section of the Eastern Cape Regional Commissioner is located in East London. Applications can be submitted through the following methods: At Moore Street, Block E, Ocean, Quigney, East London, or at the Regional Commissioner’s office, P/Bag X20530, Bloemfontein.
Applications may be submitted at the following locations: The Regional Commissioner’s office in Bloemfontein, or at the Agrimed Building, 103 Zastron Street. For the Gauteng Region, applications may be submitted at the Recruitment Section, PO Box X393, Pretoria. For the KwaZulu-Natal Region, applications may be submitted at the Recruitment Section, PO Box X9126, Pietermaritzburg.
Applications may be submitted at the Correctional Services’ facilities in Pietermaritzburg, Eugene Marais Road, or in the recruitment section of the Limpopo, North West, and Mpumalanga regions. Those from the Western Cape can also be picked up at the regional commissioner’s office at 7459 Goodwood Road, in Cape Town. You can also apply online here.
About Correctional Services Learnership
The DCS offers various opportunities to individuals from various communities every year. These learnerships are part of the government’s effort to create skills and alleviate unemployment and poverty.
Individuals who are interested in taking up the learnership program in the DOCS can apply. These learners must meet the requirements for the NQF Level 4 FET Certificate.
This program is designed to help rehabilitate prisoners. It features both practical and theoretical training.