About The NSFAS (National Student Financial Aid Scheme)
NSFAS application is a government element under the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) set up as indicated by the NSFAS (Act 56 of 1999) to offer monetary help to distraught understudies who wish to additional their studies at state funded colleges or TVET universities. It gets assets from the Government and afterward concedes them to understudies.
Also Check: Universities Now Open for 2023 Applications
NSFAS controls a few diverse credits and bursary plans, however the significant one is the DHET Bursary.
This article manages the necessities for this DHET bursary and the NSFAS online application process. Subtleties of other Nsfas bursaries are accessible at NSFAS.
The DHET Bursary
Up to 2017, NSFAS application was a credit plan, and understudies needed to reimburse the cash, in addition to premium, when they finished their studies, began working, and were acquiring basically R30,000 each month.
The reasoning for this framework was that the asset would forever be renewed by these reimbursements to be accessible for new understudies. These standards stay for all investigations supported up to and including 2017.
Nonetheless, the South African Government has since the end of 2017 promised that schooling ought to be free for oppressed and common NSFAS application understudies.
Therefore, from the 2018 scholastic year, NSFAS application has carried out another DHET bursary conspirator that doesn’t need to be reimbursed. All investigations since 2018, regardless of whether for new or returning understudies, will be free, albeit a few conditions apply.
How does NSFAS work?
The NSFAS application manages assets for endorsing programs at 26 state funded colleges and 50 TVET Colleges in South Africa. The objective is to give a monetary guide and other help to guarantee understudy achievement and further developed throughput.
The guidelines for the DHET bursary are set out in the accompanying archives:
Rules for the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) Bursary Scheme for Students at Public Universities now open for 2023 applications – gave the Department of Higher Education and Training
Bursary Agreement Terms and Conditions (which structures part of the NSFAS application bursary understanding)
The accompanying understudies meet all requirements for NSFAS subsidizing:
- All South African residents (there is no age limit)
- Each beneficiary of a SASSA award.
- Candidates whose consolidated family pay isn’t more than R350 000 for every year.
- An individual with an inability – consolidated family pay should not be more than R600 000 for each year
- Understudies who began examining before 2018 whose family pay isn’t more than R122 000 for every year.
Least requirement: To a TVET course, the understudy probably passed essentially Grade 9. For a University course, Grade 12 with college exclusion (lone ranger’s pass). Likewise, contingent upon the scholastic course, there will be further scholarly affirmation necessities.
To be qualified for an NSFAS bursary, provide the below requirements
- The understudy more likely than not, got affirmation of entrance into a public advanced education organization for a supported subsidized capability
- Returning understudies should be enlisted for the significant scholarly year and should fulfill the base movement necessities of the instructive establishment and movement rules as far as the DHET National Rules and Guidelines
Who should not apply??
- Understudies that have finished a past capability.
- Understudies with a consolidated family pay off more than R350 000 a year.
- Unfamiliar understudies (any understudy who is definitely not a South African resident).
- Understudies who have effectively applied, qualified, and got subsidizing. They are consequently supported for the term of their studies, if they pass their modules and meet the scholastic necessities.
- NSFAS will check all understudies’ data with the South African Revenue Services (SARS), Dept of, Home Affairs, credit departments, instructive foundations, banks, or some other important source.
NSFAS approaches the National Integrated Social Protection Information System (NISPIS) to check information, particularly for SASSA recipients. The understudy and guardians/watchmen will be needed to give agree for NSFAS to involve individual data for this reason.
For a TVET college bursary nsfas application:
- Registered at a public South African TVET college
- Registered for the National Certificate (vocational)
- Registered for certain Report 191 (NATED) programs such as N1-N6 in engineering and N4-N6 in all other fields.
How to Apply for NSFAS Online?
NSFAS Account Funding Application:
- Register online as a user on myNSFAS.
Go to www.nsfas.org.za
Click on “myNSFAS” tab
Click on “Register”
Tick the box to allow NSFAS to verify your details
Then enter your ID number on the field as it is stated on your ID document
Type in your full names and surname as per your ID number
Type in your current email address
Confirm your email address
Type in your cell phone number
Create a password
Upload your ID Copy
Click on register
An OTP will be sent to the email and cell number provided (this OTP expires after 24 hours)
Type in the OTP and click submit
You have now completed your re-registration
2. Click the APPLY tab to be directed to the online application form.
3. Prepare certified copies of the following documents:
South African identity document/card or an unabridged birth certificate
IDs of parents and/or guardian (death certificate if applicable)
IDs of each person living in your household
Proof of Annual household income as a payslip or appointment letter (proof of income should not be older than three months and combined household income if applicable)
University registration documents
Travel and Accommodation documents (if applicable)
Proof of marital status (if applicable)
Download and complete the consent form and fill it in with signatures of all people whose incomes have been declared in the application.
If you have a disability, download and complete the Disability Annexure A
Manual Application Forms / Offline NSFAS Application:
- Visit one of the application centers where you will be given a hard copy of the application form to fill in.
- Use black ink to complete the nsfas application form and write within the blocks with CAPITAL letters.
- Do not cancel out any text and make sure to write clearly.
- Have parents/guardian sign the consent form.
- Have certified copies of the listed supporting documents and attach them to the application form by stapling before submission.
- Documents must be certified on the front side of the page and should be within 3 months.
- Sign the completed application form and submit it to one of the NYDA assistants.
- The application will be attached with a barcode. Wait for the small acknowledgment of the receipt card with the duplicated barcode.
Check NSFAS application status for 2022
You can check your NSFAS application status by logging in to the myNSFAS portal at: https://my.nsfas.org.za/
Post: Private Bag X1, Plumstead 7801, South Africa
Address: 10 Brodie Road, House Vincent 2nd Floor, Wynberg, Cape Town 7700
Tel: 0860 067 327
Frequently Asked Questions (FQA)
What if the student has forgotten their old username, password and cell phone number, How do they reset their profile?
Follow the below steps to reset your myNSFAS login details:
Go to: www.nsfas.org.za, click on ‘myNSFAS‘ and then select ‘forgot password‘.
Type in your ID number and choose what you require help with: password or username or both, then click ‘submit‘.
The username and the link to change your password will be sent via SMS and email.
Open the link to be redirected to the reset password page.
Reset your password by following the prompts on your screen.
Can I appeal application?
If your NSFAS application was rejected, it may be possible for you to appeal application.
Log into to the MyNSFAS portal at https://my.nsfas.org.za/Application/selfservice.jsp
Select the Track Funding Progress option.
Check the application progress tabs.
If your application status is showing as unsuccessful, then the appeal application window is open and you can submit an appeal by selecting the Submit Appeal tab.
This will take you to the Application Appeal page, you will now be able to see the reason for the unsuccessful application status.
Provide a motivational letter clearing stating the reasons why you are appealing your application status.
Upload any certified supporting application documents to support your statement.
Click Submit Appeal.
You can then track the progress of your appeal via the MyNSFAS portal.