The SAMSTIP stands for Southern African Science and Mathematics Teacher Intern Program. Its objective is to address the shortage of skilled teachers in South Africa. Through its internship programs, the organization aims to provide high-quality education to students from disadvantaged backgrounds. It also aims to expand the number of students who pass mathematics by improving the teaching methods of ISASA member schools.
The ISASA is South Africa’s biggest non-profit organization that provides high-quality education to over 800 schools. Its goal is to make sure that every child in the country has the opportunity to receive a quality education.
SAMSTIP Teacher Internship Bursary 2023
Through a collaboration with Investec, SAMSTIP is offering students of the Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) the teacher internship bursaries for 2023.
Also apply: Funza Lushaka Teaching Bursary 2023
For candidates who are interested in pursuing a postgraduate certificate in education, UNISA can provide them with the necessary studies. The program is designed for those who are interested in studying mathematics and sciences.
The bursary provides the following advantages:
- Textbooks for the courses
- Monthly Stipend
- All cost of tuition in Unisa
- Transport allowance
- Academic enrichment
- Accommodation facilities
- Training in any of ISASA member schools
- Guidance from qualified professionals
- Resources for learning as well as teaching
- Following graduation, students are expected to teach in a public school.
- After completing the entrance exam, selected applicants may be invited to an entrance exam and subsequently an internal interview.
- A school where the candidates may be placed will interview them.
- Candidates that are chosen will be required to apply to UNISA.
SAMSTIP Teacher Internship Bursary Eligibility Criteria
Before a candidate can apply for a program, they must first pass the eligibility criteria. There should be no exceptions, and they will be rejected if they fail to meet the requirements.
- South Africa citizenship applicants should not be older than 30 years old.
- They should have either completed their education or be in the final year of their studies.
- They should also have at least one credit in mathematics.
- The candidate should not be registered before they can start their postgraduate studies in the fields of life sciences, physical sciences, and natural sciences.
- To be considered for a postgraduate qualification in these fields, the candidate must meet the requirements of the university.
- In these fields, the candidate should have at least a 3rd year undergraduate degree in either life sciences or mathematics from a tertiary institution.
- They should also be able to carry out at least 2nd year of postgraduate studies in these subjects.
- For the 2023 academic year, the candidate should be interested in studying at UNISA.
- They should also have a clean criminal record.
How Do I Apply For A Bursary?
The applications can be submitted online through the SAMSTIP website. The candidates can also send their forms by post. They can also request a hard copy of the form by email.
Slindile Shelembe at firstname.lastname@example.org
16 St David Road
Candidates must provide the following documents with their application form:
- Certified copy of ID book.
- Matriculation certificate, certified copy.
- Academic transcripts must be certified.
- Diploma or degree certificate.